Have you ever written an amazing blog post? You know it is the one that will go viral. It is that good. And the you stop to wonder . . .When is the best time to publish an amazing blog post? What day of the week? What time? What timezone?
Timing plays a role, but it cannot substitute for good engaging content.
A Kissmetics Study found
- The highest percentage of users read blogs in the morning.
- A higher percentage of men read blogs in the evening and at night.
- The average blog gets the most traffic on Monday.
- The average blog gets the most traffic around 11am Eastern Time.
- The average blog gets the most comments on Saturday.
- The average blog gets the most inbound links on Monday and Thursday.
- The average blog gets the most inbound links at 7am Eastern Time.
A TrackMaven’s study found
- Posts published during non-popular hours tended to get the most social engagement and shares.
- Posts published on Saturdays and Sundays received the most social shares and posts published between 9pm – midnight EST
A study shared by Social Fresh using data from Shareaholic found
- Social shares are highest for posts published on Thursdays and between the hours of 9 – 10am EST.
- The most pageviews are Mondays and between the hours of 9 – 10am EST.
- The pageviews drop off dramatically for posts published after 12pm EST.
Noah Kagan did a study using data from BuzzSumo of 100 million pieces of content to find what makes certain content go viral. He found that
- Blog posts published on Tuesday gained the largest total shares.
- On Mondays people are more likely to share on LinkedIn and Pinterest shares.
Check out this infographic from Kissmetics for a breakdown of their study.
Are you more confused than ever? The key is knowing who your customers are and trying out different things. Most importantly if you produce plenty of good content, you increase your odds no matter what time of day you post. Please don’t get lost in the weeds with these statistics.
You can import custom Google Analytics reports to run a test on your own blog for pageviews and visits. If you are a statistics fan you can review the Google Analytics reports to see how the traffic changes on your site as you publish new posts on different days and at different times.
But the most important thing you can do is to continue creating content for your website. If you wonder how often you should be blogging the most common answer is: more than you are blogging now. For inspiration read Ten Tips Every Writer Should Know and Recommended Websites for Writers.